Wednesday 1 July 2015

The Thing About Living With An Artist



.





The other day I found myself in a warm and full bath, fully clothed, with some milk and flour mixed in.
I am a twenty year old who sat in a bath, that was basically cake ingredients.
I felt like Cruella de Vill when she got turned into a giant cake.

This is basically because I live with an artist, and my literal dunk into confectionery was in the name of photography.

This isn't the first odd thing I have been asked to do.



Within the past two years, I've worn funny hats, hand modeled covered in fake blood, been covered in Joker make up, covered myself in sheets whilst standing on ladders, stretched out backwards on chairs, dressed as a half man-half woman, and also helped to create a killer robot head, that I later had to pretend to be scared of, because I'm the sort of friend that will support you, no matter how bizarre your art is. And that's without having to pretend to pull a 6yr old's hair.

So in case you haven't gathered by now:

Living with an artist is the funnest thing ever!

It's inspiring too, not only do you pose, but you basically make up fictional scenarios (looking at original and fanfic writers in the corner!), you help to construct things, and it gives me some great blog ideas. Plus, you get invites to upcoming exhibitions and Saturday's can be happily spent in a gallery. (This friend has actually been a part of an exhibition which I will be writing about later).


In a way, living with an amazing photographer, like my housemate, has helped me to hang on to the real me. In secondary school I did Honours Art, excelled in it, and loved it. I may not draw as much as I used too, but I've been getting back into it recently. I also sat Higher Irish, which I also loved and did well in, but being in England the past two years has made me forget a lot of it. And while the loss of my Irish is making me feel as if I'm loosing some part of myself in this never-ending vaccum of time and immigration and cultural shocks, I'm happy that I am, at least, still doing the artsy things that I've also loved, and also expanding little by little.

There is also the thing of artists being free spirits.
This is true. The messy writing thing is shit, not true, no way, false.
But the free spirit thing is definitely true, we play games such as 'how much can you eat', and 'make cookies in mugs' and have 'cake breakfasts'. A fun night can include fake blood, alcohol, cards against humanity, making a blanket or a teddy. Life is always unpredictable


It also means you will find a lot of irrelevant things lying a round, from bobble heads, to phrenology heads, and from books of poetry to whiskey. And I love every moment of it. It's like walking into someone's head and saying 'look, you can't confine someone to one thing. You can have an interest in everything if you want'. It's okay to be a jack of all trades, master of none.

I find it stupid that some people think you need to only be into one genre of music. It's like being a child and not knowing that you can have more that one best friend.

But that's the beauty of art. There are no rules or boundaries. We are free to do and be what we want. Think about it, its rare to ever find a close-minded artist. And everyday I feel blessed to be around these amazing and inspiring, innovative people.

Disclaimer: Again, these images aren't mine.
Unknown Web Developer

Morbi aliquam fringilla nisl. Pellentesque eleifend condimentum tellus, vel vulputate tortor malesuada sit amet. Aliquam vel vestibulum metus. Aenean ut mi aucto.

No comments:

Post a Comment