Friday 26 September 2014

Don't Call Me Baby


Before you judge, no this isn't a post that revolves around a song by Madison Avenue, and it's not a feminist rant either....well not a radical one, it may be a little feminist-y.

If you like your partner calling you 'baby', that's your own prerogative, fair play to you. I have nothing bad to say to you! You like it, it works for you, well done. Or maybe you prefer being called 'baby cakes' or 'sweet cheeks', the last one just makes me think of pimps and prostitutes, to be quite honest.

I like terms like 'doll face' and 'luv', don't get me wrong. But more in a maternal way towards children, or if I'm pretending to be The Joker on Halloween. Other than that, I'm not exactly one for terms of endearment. Maybe people need the reassurance that their partner still wants to put up with them, but for people like me (who find the idea of love questionable) I really can't stand being called these things.

Feminists will argue that men are demeaning us and sending up back centuries by giving us these nicknames. Men will fight back with 'what do you women want?!'

I have to say, I'm kinda feeling sorry for the men here. I'm not saying that I'm superior as a woman, I'm just saying that women wreck the heads of other women, not just men. Trust me, I see it everyday. Where else do you think cat fights come out of?

I was reading this psychology article this morning about how the whole nickname thing is all about making sure that the other party knows that they love them, and as some sort of way to subconsciously find out that the feeling was reciprocated. It's clever, if you really think about it. Subtly asking the eternal question of, 'you sick of me yet?'.

People have this irrational fear of dying alone, so much to the point that they have now resorted to 'Mine for dinner baby?', or 'Hey toots, wanna come up Saturday?'

Life is not a cheesy movie. We're not going to the dance with the hottest guy in school only to end up dating our friends, and we are not going to end up marrying and successfully keeping our first boyfriends/girlfriends.

Don't think I'm being negative. No one here will die alone, because people are never alone, no matter how much they feel it. I don't believe in first relationships, and I may question love in general, but I don't want to be the Grinch and steal everyone's relationships. I wish everyone the best of luck, I just don't want people to be calling me 'baby'.

It's almost paedophilic, its weird, its wrong. And I don't see why 'baby'. Of the millions of words and nouns within the dictionary, WHY BABY?!

It's a tiny human. It's a newborn. Not a fully grown woman that can buys her own drinks and watches documentries on serial killers!

So you might want to ask people when you run into them, whether or not they like the term. Or better yet, when you see me at a bar (which I highly doubt), don't call me 'baby'.
Unknown Web Developer

Morbi aliquam fringilla nisl. Pellentesque eleifend condimentum tellus, vel vulputate tortor malesuada sit amet. Aliquam vel vestibulum metus. Aenean ut mi aucto.

No comments:

Post a Comment